Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Scope and Contents The Ann States Photograph Collection holds images of Atlanta life during the 1970s. Many of the photographs showcase Auburn Avenue and the businesses that once thrived there. The photographs also show the people of Sweet Auburn in various settings socializing and working, these images offer a glimpse to what Sweet Auburn looked like during this time period.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1940 - 1979
Overview The Evelyn J. Frazier Papers, 1939-2005, document Frazier's business, civic, educational, and political activities through artifacts, correspondence, certificates, diplomas, licenses, ephemera, news clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, and various printed materials. In addition to owning and operating Frazier's Cafe Society, Frazier was involved locally and nationally with numerous institutions and organizations, including the Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Morris...
Overview The papers comprise plaques of awards and honors received by Haugabrooks from 1965 to 1972, papers, correspondence, telegrams of congratulations, one framed letter of congratulations from former Georgia Governor Joe Frank Harris, and an enlarged poster-sized photograph of Mrs. Haugabrooks and former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young. The collection is rich for research on Atlanta's African American life, in particular its business and civic leaders, churches, organizations, and female entrepreneurs.
Scope and Contents The Harmon Perry Collection consists of images taken by photographer Harmon Perry, who worked for the Atlanta Daily World and as a reporter of the Atlanta Journal. The photographs in this collection are of Atlanta social life, politicians, educators and everyday snapshots of people in Atlanta from the 1960s to the 1980s.This collection will benefit researchers of Atlanta black life during the late 20th century, these photographs serve as a history of predominately black...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1900 - 1993
Overview Taped interviews, radio programs, transcripts of some of the interviews, material relating to funding, and background research, of the oral history project Living Atlanta: an Oral History of the City Between the World Wars, produced by Radio Free Georgia Broadcasting Foundation between 1977 and 1978. Topics include Atlanta Crackers baseball team, blues, business, economic conditions, education, Jews, Ku Klux Klan, police, politics and government, race relations, and social life. Persons...
Overview The collection consists of the transcript of an oral history interview with Annie L. McPheeters on June 8, 1992 conducted by Kathy Nasstrom, of the Georgia Government Documentation Project at Georgia State University. During the interview, McPheeters discusses why she became a librarian; library's 1930 adult education program; John Wesley Dobbs; black libraries provide information for political, civic and voters leagues; Dr. Clarence A. Bacote; Reverend William Holmes Borders; Warren Cochran of...
Overview The Portia Allen Hunt family papers includes obituaries, photographs, newspaper clippings, certificates, and correspondence from the period of 1959 to 1992 and documents the Hunt family's life in Atlanta with an emphasis on Portia Allen Hunt.
Overview The collection consists of oral history interviews and transcripts of interviews of residents and merchants in the Sweet Auburn neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia in 1978. The interviewees discuss personal background, social and economic conditions among the African American residents of Sweet Auburn, recollections of the riot of 1906, the fire of 1917, the Depression, the Butler Street Urban Renewal Project (1950s), cross-town migration, and the civil rights movement. The collection also...
- Subject: Atlanta (Ga.)--Social life and customs X
- Allen family 1
- Atlanta Council on Human Relations. 1
- Atlanta Housing Authority 1
- Atlanta Life Insurance Company 1
- Atlanta Negro Voters League 1
- Atlanta-Fulton Public Library 1
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History 1
- Bacote, Clarence A., 1906-1981 1
- Big Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Blackburn, Ruby Parks, 1901-1982 1
- Bond, Julian, 1940-2015 1
- Borders, William Holmes, 1905-1993 1
- Bowen, Margaret Davis, -1976 1
- Brooks, Hallie Beachem 1
- Cochran, Warren 1
- Dobbs, John Wesley, 1931- 1
- Evelyn Jones Cafe (Atlanta, Ga.). 1
- Frazier's Cafe Society (Atlanta, Ga.). 1
- Frazier, Evelyn J., 1912-2007 1
- Georgia Government Documentation Project. 1
- Georgia State University 1
- Georgia. General Assembly. Committee on Schools 1
- Harris, Joe Frank 1
- Hartsfield, William Berry 1
- Haugabrooks, Geneva, 1890-1977 1
- Hill, Jesse, 1927- 1
- Hunt family 1
- Hunt, Portia Allen, 1922-1992 1
- Iota Phi Lambda Sorority. Delta Chapter. 1
- Jackson, Maynard, 1938-2003 1
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968 1
- King, Nina 1
- McPheeters, Annie L. 1
- Metropolitan Atlanta Association for the Blind. 1
- Metropolitan Atlanta Republican Women's Club. 1
- Morris Brown College 1
- Morris Brown College National Alumni Association. 1
- Nasstrom, Kathryn L. 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs 1
- Pennington, T. Maurice, 1923- 1
- Settelmayer, John C. (John Carl), 1910- 1
- Southwest Fulton Republican Women's Club. 1
- Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.) 1
- Sweet Auburn Neighborhood Project (Atlanta, Ga.). 1
- Young, Andrew, 1932- 1
- Young, Whitney M. 1 ∧ less